Saturday, June 12, 2010

First (bottled) franken!

I have been mixing nail polish colors ever since I was 9 or 10. I saw a contest in Seventeen magazine where you were to create a new nail polish color and give it a name and a brief description of what the color means. I never entered the contest, which I regret now. At first I was too young and then I kind of forgot about it because I stopped reading Seventeen because I liked magazines like Cosmopolitan and Allure since they were more "grown up" (::rolls eyes:: LOL). So since then I loved to mix polish swatches on paper and give them cool names. For some reason it never really occurred to me to mix whole bottles.

Some past winners of the contest are:
"Ciel de Nuit" (the first year winner)
"Rain" and "Shine" (they had a double winner one year. "Rain" was a sheer shimmer light blue grey and "Shine" was a sheer shimmer pastel yellow. I'm not sure if these were the exact names and color descriptions, but I think I'm pretty close.)
"Haute Chocolat" (the most recent winner it seems, from 2008)

For this franken, I wanted to be as original as possible and not mix already made colors. I chose to mix pigments with clear polish. I used a Sally Girl Mini nail polish. I had bought some pigments from Coastal Scents a few months back to make mineral makeup. I took a deep cool toned burgundy pigment and added it to the bottle. I then added a sparkly gold hoping that the end result would be a pretty purple with gold shimmer. It turned brown. Since it didn't come out as originally planned, I was disappointed. I did a test swatch on my nails and then suddenly realized it wasn't as bad as I thought! Don't mind the sloppy cuticles, as this was just supposed to be a test swatch!




I haven't seen many brown polishes around lately. I want to restart a brown trend! This fall I'm definitely going to be wearing a lot of browns.

I don't have a name for it yet. Suggestions are welcome!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that frankenf! Its very similar to Hema #79 that I've fallen in love with. That is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete