Saturday, June 12, 2010

ORLY Plastix- "Purple Pleather" Review

FYI: ** I bought this polish with my own money. My opinion is honest. None of the companies mentioned in this post will provide compensation for me for doing this review. **

I was roaming around Ulta looking for Essie's "Lapiz of Luxury" (which was sold out) when I stumbled across a display for a new line from Orly.


Only recently have I gotten into matte finishes for nails. A few years ago I tried a matte color and it was horrible! Not only did it look bad on my nails, it wore off fast. After that I didn't pay much attention to matte colors until I started reading nail blogs. Since they weren't looking as bad as my personal matte experience, I decided to try one. And I ended up really liking it! (I can't remember the name or brand, I'll probably do a post about mattes in the future where I will mention it again.)

I bought the "Purple Pleather". When I got home I looked it up and found this description:

"ORLY, the company that continually pioneers the Nail Lacquer arena with the most cutting edge colors, technology and textures, introduces the Plastix Collection. Complementing the Fall 2010 runway looks that featured bright neon colors amid shiny black plastic, latex, and rubber reinventions of vintage must-haves,Plastix evokes the vintage classic trend with four new lacquers and a unique new formula that coats the nails with a smooth glossy matte “plastic” finish. The exclusive finish and texture is a first in the nail category, delivering a monochromatic, shiny and rubbery look that takes experimentation to an entirely new level, with the focus being on both the distinctive nail surface, as well as the latest in color trends. The unique look can not be achieved with color alone as the finish is a must for recreating the true “plastic” statement."

Plastic finish??? Cool!! And it is from the Fall 2010 collection and isn't going to be released until July 2010. I got lucky!! I wish I would have had the chance to swatch it right away, but I had camera issues. So here it is (2 coats, no base or top coat):

Indoor lighting

Outdoor lighting/partial sunlight

To compare the much buzzed about plastic finish, I put Essie's Matte about you top coat on my index finger, and Sally Hansen Double Duty Base and Top Coat on my ring finger. As you can see, the finish is definitely more matte than shine, yet it has a soft sheen to it that a regular matte doesn't have..


Overall I liked the color and the formula. It went on smooth. The drying time was about average. When you first put on the polish it looks wet, and as it dries it begins to look more matte. The plastic finish wasn't what I thought it was going to be. I was thinking some kind of magic outer space technology or something... lol. It was still pretty neat though! I probably won't buy the other 3 colors. The teal looks cool, but I already have a teal matte. The orange is interesting looking, but I think I'll pass for now. The red didn't appeal to me all that much because I am not wearing reds lately.

The Orly Plastix line would be perfect for someone who wants to try a trendy matte look, but who doesn't like the dull finish of other matte polishes.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great review. I really like the finish of it. It's unique and in between a matte and typical finish, which I like. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the finish is really cool. I wore my the color out last night and it really grew on me. I like it more better now than when I reviewed it. Maybe I'll pick up one (or two, or three) of the other colors from the Plastix line!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous review. I'm glad to see it because I'm thinking I'd rather hold out for their Cosmic collection. Its very pretty, but its just not sparking me.

    ReplyDelete